To reduce the cost of production in the construction of some new models, some parts from existing models were used in the production of telephones. In particular, a rack-mount handset with wooden base, for instance, was borrowed from the well-known AC-110 ‘skeleton’ model. If we talk about the appearance of the telephone, the L.M. Ericsson Company has always paid great attention to design and aesthetics, which have changed along with fashion and other social trends. The wooden facade of this telephone’s base is decorated with floral ornaments. For unknown reasons, this telephone model was released in only limited numbers, so it is rare and therefore desirable to collectors.
Telephone, mainly used in small offices and private hotels.
A Brief History of the British Ericsson Company:
By the beginning of the 20th Century the main buyer of L.M. Ericsson telephones in the UK was the private National Telephone Company (formed by two American Companies), which carried out the repair and maintenance of various telephone-related equipment.
The National Telephone Company experienced strong pressure from the British Postal Authority, which had an aim to monopolize the phone market. Over time, the postal service was no longer able to meet the growing demand for telephones. So private companies started freely developing their business in this area. L.M. Ericsson and the National Telephone Company had an interest in a joint venture for the production of telephones in the UK. This was due to the Swedish L.M. Ericsson factory being unable to maintain the level of supply to all its customers on its own. This joint production was established in 1903 in the town of Beeston and was based on the plant owned by the National Telephone Company, which at the time specialized in the repair of telephones and equipment. The project was a success and, in 1906-07, ably met the growing demand for telephones, so production was increased. In connection with the adoption of the British government's pending 1912 decision to retract the National Telephone Company’s license, L.M. Ericsson purchased its stake in the joint venture (1911). In 1925, the share capital of the Company had grown from 200,000 to half a million pounds. It now became possible to establish, at the plant, the machinery required for the manufacture of automatic telephone exchanges within the automation plans of the British Post Office. In 1926 the Company name was changed from ‘British Ericsson’ to Ericsson Telephones Ltd. and in 1950-51 all of its shares were sold by the Swedish L.M. Ericsson Company to the UK market.